Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Cheese Bread


Well I haven't perfected this one yet but here it goes... Here is the original recipe. I changed it around a bit due to the suggestions of others that commented on the recipe and will make further changes when I make this again next week because it was so good! Oh and I made it healthier of course.

My version.
1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
1/4 cup honey
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon of garlic salt
1 1/2 cup shredded SHARP Cheddar cheese
1 egg, beaten
1 cup milk
1/3 cup canola oil

The cheddar cheese has to be sharp or I think the cheese will be lost to the wheat flour. Next time I make this, I am going to add 2-3 tablespoons of Parmesan cheese and omit the salt all together and add 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder.

My son and husband both like this bread a lot. I forgot I was out of yogurt for Dylan's lunch today and had to come up with a really quick lunch before nap time so I made some pizza bread and he loved it.

If I get brave after making this a few more times, I will omit the oil and use apple sauce instead and see what happens.

1 comment:

  1. Dylan is growing up so fast! His looks seem to be changing to me everytime I see him!

    This looks really good. I'm wondering if coconut oil would be okay in place of the canola? I don't buy canola, and I'm thinking the applesauce would make it a little too sweet for a cheese bread?

    Oh, and did you just mix everything together and bake? What temp and how long? I'm assuming you followed the instructions on the original recipe, but just want to make sure!

    ReplyDelete