Monday, April 19, 2010

Whole Wheat Healthy Banana Muffins


So once again in an attempt to get my picky toddler to eat healthy, I have come up with a fabulous recipe for Banana Muffins. I make a batch of these, which is about 18 or so, I keep about 6 out and freeze the rest. Then maybe 2 days a week I give one to Dylan with his yogurt at lunch or as a snack if we are on the run.

I was going to post a link to the original recipe that I started with but I have made so many healthy changes to it that I do not think it is necessary.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees

3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 cup spelt or whole wheat flour
1 cup oat bran
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup raisins
1/4 cup ground flax seeds
Mix the above ingredients in one bowl.
1/4 cup raw honey
3/4 cup plain yogurt
1/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce
1/4 cup black strap molasses
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla ***I think I used 2 last time.
3 small ripe bananas mashed
Mix wet ingredients together and add to dry. Add 1/4 cup of walnuts or pecans. Mix until well blended but do not over mix! Spoon batter into muffin cups and bake in preheated oven for 15-20 mins or until they pass the toothpick stab.

Healthy, healthy healthy!

Now you can use maple syrup in place of the black strap molasses. I used the the molasses because of the extra nutrition and slightly lower sugar content. With 20% of your Vitamin A, Calcium, and Iron in just 1 Tbsp, how can you go wrong as a sweetener. You can also use quick oats instead of the oat bran.

Here's my boy with a mouthful of his muffin.

2 comments:

  1. These sound so delicious, can't wait to try them. Do you think I need to use the pastry flour? how do you think they'd turn out if I just used all whole wheat?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I definitely think they'll turn out. They just might be a bit heavy. Actually, they are pretty heavy as is so they'll be fine.

    ReplyDelete